How Long Does Furnace Installation Take?
If you’re in need of a new heating system, the big question is, how long will it take for a professional to install a furnace? It depends on the type of furnace, the size of your home, and whether or not any modifications need to be made to your home. Hans Heating & Air shares the details of the furnace installation process and how long you can expect it to take.
What Goes into the Furnace Installation Process?
When you need to buy a new furnace, there is a process to follow. Read on to learn about the important steps involved from selecting a furnace to getting your new unit up and running in your home.
Choosing Your New Furnace
Choosing a furnace doesn’t have to be a difficult task when you work with a qualified HVAC professional. The first step is to determine the size of the furnace you need. This is done by measuring the square footage of your home and factoring in other aspects of the space, such as ceiling heights, construction, number of windows and doors, and more. An HVAC contractor performs what is called a Manual J calculation to determine the heating load of your home, which will determine the size of the furnace your home needs.
Another factor to consider is the efficiency of the system you choose. Do the research and ask a furnace expert about the machine’s Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency rating. A high AFUE-rated machine will save you money on heating costs in the long run.
Once you know the size and energy efficiency, you can narrow down your choices by considering the type of fuel (like a natural gas furnace or electric furnace), and the type of warranty. By taking the time to do your research, you can find the perfect furnace for your home.
After you choose the furnace model you want and the HVAC company you would like to install the furnace, a date can be set for your installation. The furnace model may be available right away or it may need to be ordered. A date for installation will be set with this in mind.
Once the date of your installation arrives, the process goes as follows:
- The old furnace will be removed from the home and taken away so you don’t have to deal with disposal.
- Your furnace installation professional will determine the best location for the furnace to be installed. In most homes, the new unit can be installed in the same spot as the old one. It is important to choose a centralized spot in the home for furnace location that is not close to exterior doors and windows.
- Once a location has been chosen, the area is prepped for installation. The furnace’s base plate is installed and leveled out, which is the mounting plate for the new unit.
- The furnace is mounted on the base plate.
- Power sources are connected to the furnace to provide electricity to the unit, as well as natural gas or heating oil supply lines if applicable.
- The ventilation system is connected to the furnace to remove combustion fumes safely away from the home.
- The furnace is tested by turning on the power sources and observing the unit’s performance. The furnace’s intake and airflow are measured, and adjustments are made if necessary to ensure efficient performance. All safety and operating controls on the system are tested as well.
How Long Does It Take to Install a Furnace?
Installation time for a furnace is typically 4 to 10 hours. The size and model of the unit can impact installation times. If alterations need to be made to the home, such as moving the furnace’s location, reworking ducts, adding new gas lines, or performing additional electrical work, installation time can be affected. In most cases, however, the furnace can be installed without any major changes to the home.
Some people think that they can save money by installing their own HVAC system, but this is often not the case. Not only do you have to purchase the furnace itself, but you also have to pay for the materials and tools needed to install it. In addition, you need to have a good understanding of how furnaces work in order to properly install one. If something goes wrong during installation, you could end up damaging the furnace or even causing an accident.
That’s why it’s always best to leave the installation to the professionals. HVAC technicians are trained in how to safely and properly install furnaces, so you can rest assured that your new furnace will be installed correctly and that the installation process will run smoothly.
Furnace Installation Services
Installing a new furnace is a complicated process that takes time and expertise to pull off, so it’s important to bring in a professional HVAC company like Hans Heating & Air to do the job right. Hans can provide expert guidance on electric furnaces, gas furnaces, and other energy-efficient models that are capable of keeping your family warm and comfortable all winter long.
Our certified experts can take care of any necessary gas line or existing ductwork modifications your new equipment calls for in order to generate heat efficiently and save you money on your future energy bills. Most importantly, we promise quality work performed by a trained technician done in a timely manner. Schedule service with Hans Heating & Air today to ensure that your brand new furnace is properly installed.