Ductless Technology Can Heat and Cool
Many Alabama homeowners are familiar with ductless mini split HVAC units as air conditioners, but did you know ductless technology can heat as well? Ductless systems are an all-in-one solution for year-round home comfort!
Learn more about these versatile heating and cooling systems as well as the pros and cons of installing a ductless mini split in your home.
How Ductless Systems Can Heat, Too!
Ductless mini split systems are an HVAC system that utilizes one or more indoor air handler units that are installed directly within the spaces they serve. These units are linked to an outdoor unit through piping that runs through the home’s exterior wall, known as the line set.
The outdoor unit is either an air conditioner or a heat pump. If your ductless mini split system uses an air conditioner, it is only able to provide cooling. When heat pumps are used, the home benefits from both heating and cooling, as a heat pump is able to serve both purposes. Some homeowners also opt to have electric heat strips installed along with their mini split’s heat pump to provide efficient heating when temperatures drop to freezing and below – the point when heat pumps have trouble keeping up.
Pros and Cons of Ductless Units
When it’s time to purchase a new HVAC system, Alabama homeowners have many equipment options. It is helpful to know the benefits and drawbacks of each system type so you are able to best select a system that meets your needs.
Ductless technology can heat and cool, but just like other types of HVAC systems, they have their pros and cons. Take a look at both lists below to gain a complete picture of what ductless technology brings to the table.
Ductless System Pros
- Versatility: Homeowners often choose to install ductless heating and cooling systems because ductless technology can heat and cool the home. One system is all that is needed for year-round comfort control! Or, if you just need cooling, installation of a ductless air conditioner is an easy to install, unobtrusive way to gain cooling indoors.
- Zoning: Ductless units offer zoned comfort, meaning each area of the home has its own equipment, and temperatures are adjusted independently of the remaining living areas. This allows everyone in the house to enjoy their ideal environment and helps you cut energy waste.
- Energy savings: Ductless mini splits are energy efficient and can help homeowners reduce energy consumption and costs. Ductless units can heat homes using up to 60 percent less energy than other types of heating systems. Cooling costs are reduced up to 30 percent compared to other air conditioning options.
- Flexibility: Because they don’t require ducts, ductless systems are a great choice in older homes without ductwork, garages, new additions and other areas not connected to the home’s central HVAC system. Their installation isn’t as disruptive to your family and is finished quickly!
Ductless System Cons
Ductless systems do have their drawbacks, which should also be considered when you choose new HVAC equipment.
- Aesthetics: Since the air handlers are installed within your living areas, you do see them. While options exist to mesh with your decorating choices, some homeowners simply don’t like the look of the equipment.
- Cost: Compared to installing a new conventional furnace or air conditioner, ductless systems typically have a higher upfront cost. While the energy savings they generate over time help, the extra funds for installation aren’t available in everyone’s budget.
- Maintenance: Ductless air handlers typically have reusable air filters. You must clean filters on a regular basis – you cannot simply throw out the old one and insert a new one. With multiple air handlers installed, there are multiple filters to clean. Maintenance for a ductless system is a bit more involved than that of a conventional forced air system.
Turn to Hans Heating and Air for Ductless Mini Split Installation
Ductless systems can heat and cool your home throughout the year, offering great comfort and energy efficiency, season after season. Hans Heating and Air offers superior ductless air conditioner and heat pump equipment for your residence, paired with skilled installation to deliver expected performance.
Contact us today and request a quote for ductless mini split HVAC installation.