Air conditioner troubleshooting saves you unnecessary visits from a technician. Sometimes, the AC in your home requires a professional to fix problems. Know the difference between needed repairs and quick fixes this summer with the help of Hans Heating & Air. Temperatures are on the rise in Alabama, so here’s everything you need to troubleshoot AC problems.
Common Problems with Air Conditioners
Several types of issues cause air conditioning troubles. Here are common problems that don’t require expert help.
First, dirty filters cause more problems than you expect. When dirt, dust, and other airborne debris collect in the filter, it improves the air quality improves. If a filter goes unchanged for a long period of time, those particles leak into your air. Filters only hold so much debris before they become ineffective.
Clogged filters force the air conditioner to work harder to push air through the system. This often causes overheating and the AC unit shuts down prematurely as a safety precaution. Frequent stops and starts are known as short cycling and it’s a common problem. Over time, however, it’s bad for your air conditioner and leads to major repairs and worse, breakdowns.
Next, thermostats control the temperature in a home. A dusty, unlevel, or poorly-placed thermostat messes with temperature regulation. Faulty readings ultimately cost you on the utility bill.
Air conditioner troubleshooting starts with accurate knowledge of your thermostat, so if you notice changes in the temperature but you haven’t touched the thermostat, it’s likely the cause of the problem.
If you have questions about how to program your thermostat or would like to upgrade to a Wi-Fi or smart thermostat, give us a call. Our techs are happy to install a thermostat best suited to work with your specific HVAC equipment.
Not all “smart” thermostats are created equal. If you have a single speed or variable speed AC unit makes a difference, for example.
Drain pans collect moisture from an air conditioner. Over time, accumulated moisture grows bacteria, algae, and other harmful contagions. If the smell of mold or mildew hovers around your air conditioner, the drain pan likely caused it.
Air Conditioner Troubleshooting Tips
Once common problems are on your radar, these tips help fix the problem quickly at home.
- Change filters. Air conditioner troubleshooting begins with a quick filter change. Change the filter if the air quality drastically decreased for no reason. If allergies acted up, sneezes increase, or the air feels less breathable than normal, change the filter. Afterward, the air feels clean again. A filter change also addresses weak airflow issues.
- Check the thermostat. Dirty thermostats are unable to detect changes in environmental temperatures, so clean them if you notice odd shifts in temperature. Additionally, unlevel thermostats suffer from the same issue, so make sure it’s level. Finally, thermostats in direct sunlight do not work properly because the sun tricks the device into thinking it’s hotter than it actually is. Install a cover or ask your HVAC to move it if this is your issue.
- Remove moisture from the drain pan. Dump water from the drain pan, then wash it with warm soapy water to remove any leftover debris. If you noticed any mildew or mold growth, give the drain pan a quick bleach bath to kill off any bacteria. This increases air quality.
When You Need A Professional in Montgomery, AL
Lastly, there are some problems that air conditioner troubleshooting can’t fix. Here’s when to call the professionals.
- Refrigerant issues. Only qualified technicians are allowed to handle refrigerant. Its high toxicity endangers those who do not know how to properly replace it. If you notice any refrigerant problems, call a technician immediately.
- Electrical problems. Yes, electrical problems impact an air conditioning system. Loose connections decrease the air conditioners ability to cool a space. Professionals know how to fix these problems quickly and efficiently.
- Complete breakdowns. When an air conditioner stops entirely, call a technician. They find the cause of the breakdown, then either repair or replace the system.
Contact Us When You Need Professional Air Conditioner Troubleshooting
Air conditioner troubleshooting helps with minor problems in your system. Beat the Alabama heat with the at-home fixes discussed above. If problems persist or you suffer a breakdown, call Hans Heating & Cooling. Trust us to fix any problems you encounter. Call today to schedule a maintenance visit.